John is an Accredited Exercise Scientist (ESSA) and holds a Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science from Deakin University. John has a wide knowledge and skill set to apply the science of exercise to develop interventions to improve health, performance and rehab from injury and to assist with the management of chronic conditions. He has a diverse experience working in high performance environments including Parkdale Secondary’s ESP program, Eastern Ranges (TAC Cup Football), Beaumaris Junior and Senior Football Club, Bentleigh Greens (NPL U18 Soccer) and Brighton Grammar School.
In particular John has a special interest and extensive experience in re-educating and improving Movement Literacy to adolescents. As the head of Athletic Development at Parkdale Secondaries Elite Sports Pathway program John works with over 300 adolescent athletes each week developing fundamental movement patterns for performance and injury prevention.
John has a strong passion for the long term athletic development of young athletes and have worked with junior and adolescents of all ages and abilities. When it comes to fundamental movement skills, most adolescents are never taught how to perform them, let alone do them at a high level so being able to teach those skills is of high importance.
In the clinic John enjoys his work with one on one clients both adolescents and adults. Whether that be adolescents learning fundamental movement skills, those looking to get started with a structured exercise or training program through to elite sporting athletes in individual or team sports.
Best thing about my job:
Seeing my athletes develop their weaknesses to improve their abilities on the sporting field. It can mean the world for a young athlete to perform and make a higher grade team, play without pain and generally move stronger and faster and with more confidence, it’s pretty great to be on that pathway with them. The same goes for my patients to improve their functional abilities for day to day activities and be pain free.
Where you’ll find me on a Sunday:
Going for a walk through the Dandenong Ranges or out for a ride on the mountain bike.
5 Things you can expect from John as your Exercise Scientist:
- Problem solver
- Process driven
- Individualised Approach
John’s experiences include:
- Current Bentleigh Greens NPL U18s Performance Coach
- High Performance Manager, Eastern Ranges Football Club, u16 2017
- Head of athlete development Beaumaris Junior Football Club
- Strength and Conditioning Coach, Eastern Ranges Football Club, TAC Cup 2016
- Head of Strength and Conditioning, Eastern Ranges Football Club, u15 Development Squad 2015 and 2016
- High Performance Coordinator, Thornbury High School Football Development Academy (soccer) 2016
- Performance Coach, Football Star Soccer Academy 2015 and 2016
John’s qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science (Deakin University)
- Accredited Exercise Scientist (ESSA)